Our Vision & Purpose

To love God and love others.

(The Great Commandment - Matthew 22:37-39)

To Exalt, Encourage, Equip, Edify, and Evangelize

for the cause of Christ.


HISTORY OF SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH


Second Baptist Church was first organized in 1906 with 20 charter members.  

A frame building seating 100 people was constructed on the corner of Fourth and Pierce and was debt free in 1911.


The name of Second Baptist Church was changed to Pierce Street Baptist Church in the late twenties; however, upon completion of the present sanctuary, the name of Second Baptist Church was reclaimed.

 

The church continued her growth in 1985 with the addition of a multi-purpose Family Life Center.


Across the years from 1906 to 1971 the following pastors have served Second Baptist Church:  Rev. Burnett, Rev. B.J. Matthews, Rev. Robert Pride, Rev. R.A. Cooper, Rev. J.H. Clouse, Rev. C.E. Griswald,                           Rev. Pearson, Rev. W.C. Garrett, Rev. A.J. Cross, Rev. Dewey Horton, Rev. Earl Hatchett, Rev. Howard Jones, Rev. Wayland Boyd, The present pastorate began in December 5, 2004 with Bro. Wayne Griffin.

 

Jesus’ great commission to the church was to go into the world and make disciples.  Second Baptist Church as a body is acutely aware of this commission and desires to do her part on the corner of God’s earth that has been assigned to her.